Articles on this Page
- 10/03/18--08:50: _ACLS Digital Extens...
- 10/23/18--06:45: _Fellowship Competit...
- 09/04/18--13:38: _Symposium on Compar...
- 09/05/18--04:12: _2018 ASLH Annual Me...
- 09/08/18--14:11: _Call for Applicatio...
- 09/20/18--06:54: _ASLH Election Close...
- 09/23/18--15:05: _Mellon/ACLS Scholar...
- 11/29/18--15:16: _Call for Papers at ...
- 12/28/18--09:07: _Call for Applicatio...
- 12/29/18--12:12: _Call for Papers: Au...
- 01/08/19--11:58: _Call for Applicatio...
- 01/08/19--12:27: _Call for Applicatio...
- 10/03/18--08:50: ACLS Digital Extension Grant Program
- 10/23/18--06:45: Fellowship Competition for Humanities Research in Egypt
- 09/05/18--04:12: 2018 ASLH Annual Meeting Preliminary Draft Program Now Available
- 09/08/18--14:11: Call for Applications: Hurst Institute, June 2019
- 09/20/18--06:54: ASLH Election Closes September 22, 2018
- 09/23/18--15:05: Mellon/ACLS Scholars & Society Program
- 11/29/18--15:16: Call for Papers at the 2019 ASLH Annual Meeting
- 12/29/18--12:12: Call for Papers: Australian Historical Association 2019 Conference
- 01/08/19--11:58: Call for Applications: Student Research Colloquium
- 01/08/19--12:27: Call for Applications: Kathryn T. Preyer Scholars
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation has awarded ACLS a grant of $3 million in renewed support of the ACLS Digital Extension Grant program. The Foundation’s award enables ACLS to offer three additional annual competitions for the grants. Launched in 2015, the Digital Extension Grant program supports digitally-based research in all disciplines of the humanities and related […]
The American Research Center in Egypt will be announcing its annual fellowship competition on November 1. Its fellowships are open to humanities and social science scholars for research in Egypt on a diverse array of disciplines spanning all periods of Egypt’s history. ARCE invites applications to conduct independent humanities research during the 2019-2020 academic year in Egypt. […]
Arguing for the Rule of Law: Using the Hebrew Bible and Caricatures of Foreigners in British and Spanish America
Date: Friday, October 26, 2018
Location: Newberry Library, Chicago
Organized by: Jorge Cañizares-Esguerra (University of Texas, Austin) and Richard Ross (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
How did settlers, imperial officials, indigenous peoples, and Africans in the New World seek to demonstrate, or disprove, that a polity respected the rule of law? Read the rest
The American Society for Legal History will be having its 48th annual meeting in Houston, Texas from November 8 -11, 2018. The preliminary draft program is now available at 2018 ASLH Annual Meeting Program (Draft). Read the rest
Call for Applications
Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History: June 9-22, 2019
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Application Deadline: December 3, 2018
The American Society for Legal History and the Institute for Legal Studies at the University of Wisconsin Law School are pleased to invite applications for the tenth biennial Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History. Read the rest
A reminder to all members: the ASLH election will end at 11:59 PM, September 22, 2018. ASLH members should have received an email asking them to vote (each email contained a voting token which is individualized). Please follow the email instructions and cast your ballot before the deadline. Read the rest
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) is now accepting applications for the new Mellon/ACLS Scholars & Society program, which offers opportunities for faculty who teach and advise doctoral students to pursue humanities scholarship beyond the academy and to deepen their support for doctoral curricular innovation on their campuses. Read the rest
The Program Committee of the ASLH invites proposals for complete panels and individual papers for the 2019 meeting to be held November 21-24 in Boston. Panels and papers on any facet or period of legal history from anywhere in the world are welcome. Read the rest
The Law and Society Association is pleased to accept applications for the 2019 Junior Scholar Workshop. The workshop will begin mid-day on Tuesday, May 28, and continue through the day on Wednesday, May 29, 2019. The workshop immediately precedes the 2019 Annual Meeting of the Law and Society Association in Washington DC. Read the rest
The Australian Historical Association invites proposals for its 2019 Conference, “Local Communities, Global Networks,” which will take place July 8-12, 2019 at the University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba.
In particular, the program committee is interested in proposals that address the following questions: How have the local and the global intersected, inspired and transformed experiences within and from Australia’s history? Read the rest
The American Society for Legal History will host a Student Research Colloquium (SRC) on Wednesday, November 20, and Thursday, November 21, 2019, immediately preceding the ASLH’s annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts. The SRC annually enables eight Ph.D. students and law students to discuss their in-progress dissertations and articles with distinguished ASLH-affiliated scholars. Read the rest
At the annual ASLH conference, two early career legal historians designated Kathryn T. Preyer Scholars will present what would normally be their first papers to the Society. While papers simultaneously submitted to the ASLH Program committee are eligible, Preyer Scholars must present their paper as part of the Preyer panel and will be removed from any other panel. Read the rest